Wednesday 17 August 2011

Watching the Sun Rise




My greatest experiences since I’ve been here have been with nature, my first being a hike up Lion’s Head, a mountain on the edge of Cape Town to watch the sunset, and my second being a 6:45 am hike to the base of Devil’s Peak, a mountain directly next to Table Mountain, the most famous peak in Cape Town. We watched the sun rise over the city and still made it back in time to get some breakfast before our orientation lectures. This past week has been packed with orientation activities, and I’ve learned via lecture that internet here is spotty, unreliable, and expensive (sorry to all those who I promised I’d be keeping in touch with via internet), which taxi cabs not to use, to never accept help from someone who offers to help you figure out an ATM, and tried to determine the locations of the main buildings on UCT’s campus. I’ve started to adjust to cars on the left side of the road and military time, but I still need to convert Rands to dollars every time I make a purchase. I still have a lot to learn about South African culture, and I’m now positive that Culture Shock is not an imaginary phenomenon. I can’t wait to start volunteering and taking classes and get into a routine here.

No comments:

Post a Comment