Wednesday 17 August 2011

Tsitsikamma


We were only in Tsitsikamma for a few hours, but it was by far my favorite spot on the Garden Route. Home to the largest bungee jump in the world, Tsitsikamma is a network of national parks that are home to mountains, beaches, hiking trails, and water falls. We went straight to Tsitsikamma canopy tours (http://www.canopytour.co.za/locations/tsitsikamma), which claims to donate 50% of its profits to various initiatives that stimulate the local economy and support the local community, but when we asked our guide about it she burst out laughing, and I can’t help but think it might be a scam.
Mom and I before our canopy tour. 
Mom’s first canopy tour!
Mommy and me.
I had been on a canopy tour in Nicaragua through the jungle, and to be honest this tour was not quite as impressive.The company also provides you with a meal, but the R450 per person charge is still a bit pricey. My mom, however, had never done a canopy tour and had the time of her life. We both had so much fun figuring out how to maneuver through the forest and doing it together made it that much better.
After our canopy tour we drove to Storm’s River Mouth national park. It was R50 per person to enter, which is about $7 per person, and it was completely, 100% worth it.
 
I didn’t notice this til now, but we were both wearing black spandex and blue north face rain jackets the whole day. Like mother, like daughter I guess. 
You can camp or rent cabins along the beach at Storm’s River Mouth, and I definitely want to come back and do so. They’re relatively inexpensive, especially if you’re sharing a cabin with a bunch of people and you have one of the most beautiful views possible looking out your front window. 
Me hanging out in an absolutely massive cave. 
We went for a hike on the mountain alongside the ocean to see the suspension bridge that went across the river mouth.
The plants along the pathway were so different than what you’d expect on a hike in New England. 
Mom said it had to be one of the most beautiful hikes she’d ever been on, and I think I’d have to agree. We were both speechless as we walked along the jungle-like pathway parallel to the water.
The main suspension bridge was closed for construction. Erosion on one side of the mountain had caused unreliability with the suspension cables. I wasn’t about to test its limits after hearing that…
I did go on the suspension bridge on the other side, however. It was quite bouncy but sturdy and it really cool to watch the waves come in underneath the bridge.
A wave just as it crashes underneath me, and my hiking boots. I bought these hiking boots a few days before I left and thought they were exceptionally ugly at the time. They are now my closest friends. They’re so durable, so comfortable, and essential for being in Cape Town. So, thank you, LL Bean. And they’re not ugly, they’re very cute hiking boots. I use them at least once a week, maybe more and were definitely in my top 5 best purchases for this trip (some others being my digital watch which is also an alarm clock and my camera). I’ve discovered a love for hiking here and will definitely be continuing it back home. I know I’ll be dragging Russell to the AMC huts in New Hampshire next summer (get excited!!) and I can’t wait. 
While standing on the rocks and looking out at the ocean at Storms River Mouth, I got the feeling that I was at the end of the world. Then I realized that I was looking out at the end of the world. At every other beach I’ve been too I’ve been looking out at a horizon that had a coast on the other side, with people just like me looking over it. Here, I’m at the bottom of a continent, and the only thing between me and the tip of the world is some penguins on Antarctica. Realizing that there was no other humans out there as I looked out across the ocean was an indescribable, overwhelming feeling that can’t be captured with either words or pictures. 
Tsitsikamma is just one of the national park areas that South Africa has to offer. There is so much natural beauty in this country that its almost overwhelming. Seeing another part of the country made me want to explore South Africa more. I’m going on a different kind of adventure this weekend, to a city: Johannesburg.

No comments:

Post a Comment