Wednesday 17 August 2011

Off for the weekend!

Tomorrow, I leave for school as usual at 6 am. After class I’m going for a quick hike up Devil’s Peak, the mountain right behind the university that you can see in the main picture above. Then at 6 pm I leave for my home stay in Ocean View, a colored township outside of Cape Town. In South Africa the term colored means mixed race (generations ago), and is not a derogatory term but rather one used in everyday conversation. The people who live in Ocean View now were forced out of coastal areas such as Simon’s Town (see the picture of me and Just Nuisance in Simon’s Town Below) and Fish Hoek because whites wanted to live in those areas. I’ll know much more about the area when I return on Sunday night. I’ll be out of contact for the weekend, but I think this is going to be a great experience. Have a great weekend everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment