Thursday 18 August 2011

Off again!

I've been so incredibly busy this past week. I have a huge test coming up on Tuesday, a big presentation on Wednesday, and two short papers due this coming week. However, I'm leaving all that work behind this weekend and heading to Johannesburg. I'm so excited to be able to compare Cape Town to another South African city. One of my tutors (or teaching assistants) was lecturing us about South African economics and casually mentioned that if any of us wanted to make money in South Africa we'd have to move to Joburg. Its a lot more industrial and its near where a lot of the mining takes place, and is therefore the business capital of South Africa. Cape Town is a beach city, and just like every beach city is known for being much more laid back. I'm probably going to be way to busy studying next week to blog about my trip, but I'll try to have a post up by the end of the week. I'm super overwhelmed by all this work, I wasn't expecting to be so busy during my time abroad, BUT what all this work means is that in two weeks I'll be on Spring break!! Yes, you read that correctly, in the Southern hemisphere it is now winter, and this is the spring semester. UCT's summer break is from mid November to February.
For now, here's a few pictures I took this week (click on them if you want a better view):
I took this picture of the sunrise this morning on my walk to campus.

There have been many protests and strikes over wages this week in South Africa. There was a riot in the center of the city a couple of days ago that ended in a crazy amount of looting. I haven't seen any of it except for these protesters, who are cleaning workers, walking through the center of campus. They already receive the wages that the rest of the cleaning workers are on strike for, but they're protesting in solidarity. They were singing the most beautiful protest song I've ever heard. I'm not sure which African language it was in, but I took a quick video which I might post later on. 

A litchi, a yummy fruit that I sometimes snack on here, although this one was imported from Israel. Its very tangy and tropical and once you pull the skin off it looks like a whitish clear gel. 

The family pug, Fred, waiting at the door when I got home from school. 

Have a great weekend, everyone! And for all of you headed back to Nova this weekend, give it my best. 

1 comment:

  1. Hi boo, I'm sitting here with Grandma and Grandpa, reading with them about your adventures. We love your blog - keep it coming!

    ReplyDelete