Friday 23 September 2011

A strange encounter

Many of things that have happened to me in South Africa, have been...well...different....


Here's an example:
Today I had a long day and no lunch, so instead of lunch I grabbed a granola bar and some gummies in between meetings. So I'm walking to meeting # 3 of the day, eating the gummies, and an african guy with a thick Xhosa accent comes up to me, and here's how the conversation goes:

Him: you're eating candy?

Me: yeah, gotta get my sugar fix
Him: you're going to get fat
Me: i don't think a few gummies are going to kill me
Him: no, girls put on weight really fast
Me: ummmm i think I'm ok
at this point im wondering WHO IS THIS GUY 
Him: you're boyfriend is going to break up with you
Me: no, he's not
Him: yeah, he is. you get fat and he won't care about you anymore
Me: um, well, my boyfriend will still love me, despite me eating a few gummies
Him: well, if he doesn't break up with you he's going to cheat on you. you'll stop being able to hold his attention.
Me: no, he won't.
 meanwhile, I'm walking this whole time, this guy is just following me walking next to me, on campus which is SUPER safe.

Him: well in the black culture, thats what we do
Me: I guess thats just a cultural difference
Him: you only date white guys?
Me: my boyfriends is hispanic (which is only a half lie)

.... and then SPRINT away. how WEIRD is that?
So I threw out the gummies.



The weirdest part was him telling me that in black culture they cheat on their girlfriends.I know a lot of Xhosa people, and have interacted with countless black South Africans. What he said is not true at all, but the fact that that is what he chose to tell me about his culture in our brief, 90 second interaction was just so bizarre to me. He had no idea he was american, no idea about my background, but that is how he decided to portray himself. 

No comments:

Post a Comment