Thursday 22 September 2011

Climbing Mount Kilimanjaro: The essentials


I took the Machame Route, also known as the "whiskey" route. It can range anywhere between 6 to 10 days, depending on what you want your pace to be. The slower you go, the better acclimated you become. My dad and I had no trouble with 6 days. He runs marathons, but had no experience with altitude, and I run about 3-4 miles, 4 times a week. But I also go to school on a mountain, and have to walk up it every day to get to class. I don't think that had anything to do with my success, though. 

Things to bring that might not be on your gear list:
1. Toilet Paper
2. Chapstick w/ sunscreen
3. bug spray (for base/ hanging out in the city)
4. sunscreen
5. pepto bismol (altitude and diamox can mess with your stomach)
6. lotion (high altitutde=dry hands)
7. sunglasses
8. ipod (for bonding with group/ helping you get to sleep/ taking a break from hiking conversation)
9. wipes
10. purell (1 big for refills, 1 small to carry around)
11. gaitors
12. hiking day pack with waist and chest support
13. flags/t-shirts/signs for summit
14. journal & pen ( you'll need to write down the emails of all the people you meet, even if you don't journal)
15. Warm weather clothes for before you go up the mountain and  in your hotel afterwards
16. Money for tipping ($200 per hiker) and for buying a t-shirt or map at the end ($15)
17. 3 1 liter water bottles- the more water you drink the better
18. snacks- even though you have no appetite on the mountain, snack continuously, especially on summit day. You need energy. 
Biggest nerd in Tanzania in all my gear
 Yes, i brought big blue up Kilimanjaro. Thought my dad was bringing a hiking day back to Africa. Instead he brought big blue. Big blue made my back sore, so don't so the same. 


Tips:
1. Do it for charity: Raise money for whatever charity you would like. Kilimanjaro is a tangible goal that will encourage people to donate. A lot of people I ran into were doing this, and I wish I had thought of it. 
2. Do your paperwork: Remember that you need a yellow fever vaccine and $100 for your Tanzanian visa when you arrive (although you can get this from the Tanzanian embassy before hand)

Basic Swahili:
(excuse my spelling)
Jambo- Hello
Mambo- Whats up
Vipi- How is it?
Shwari- Fine
Poa- Cool
Rafiki- Friend
Ahsante- Thank you
Karibo- You're welcome
Zuri- Good
Sana- Very
Naipenda- I like 
Nakupenda- I love you
Chakula- food
Kahawa- Cofee
Kahawa na maziwa na sukari- Coffee with sugar and milk
Hakuna Matata- No worries
Hakuna shida- No problem
Hakuna noma, hakuna tabu- no problem
kuma shida- there is a problem
maji- water
majimoto- hot water
maji baridie-cold water





No comments:

Post a Comment