Thursday 1 September 2011

Spring Break!!!

After I hand in my paper tomorrow its officially spring break! Its been an absolutely crazy week. I'm one of the few people on my study abroad program with a super heavy course load (of course, I always do that to myself, I know), but no matter the classes, everyone's been crazy busy this week with papers and tests. I'm procrastinating writing this final paper right now, but I think I'm also too exhausted to think straight. Its crazy that this midterms week marks the halfway point of me being here. Most of my friends are leaving for their study abroad programs this week. Russell landed in Madrid, Spain this morning, Molly takes off for Perugia, Italy today, Marya leaves today for Prague, Czech Republic, and Deia has her orientation for her Barcelona program this weekend. I'll be halfway done with my term before they have their first class.

My dad lands in Cape Town tomorrow morning, and will be lecturing at UCT Medical School during the day. We'll be chillin in Cape Town on Saturday, and then Sunday morning we're waking up at 4:30 am to take 3 flights to Arusha, Tanzania to climb Mount Kilimanjaro.We begin climbing on Monday, taking the Machame route to the Uhuru Peak, which is at 19,340 feet. I have no idea what to expect on this climb, but I know that altitude sickness is a huge problem. I've heard that its all mental, so I'm trying to go into it really confident about my climbing abilities.  Its not a technical climb, so being in shape isn't the main issue, it's just how well your body adjusts to the change in altitude. You hike painfully slow so that your body has time to adjust. 

This is something I've always wanted to do, and I couldn't be more excited. Its very surreal that its just around the corner. It's going to be an incredible bonding experience with my Dad, and something that neither of us are going to forget.  

I'm going to be completely out of contact from this Sunday morning until Monday, September 12th when I return, but I'll have plenty of pictures and stories then. 

No comments:

Post a Comment