Tuesday 29 May 2012

Granada

I wrote this months ago and never finished it, but I figured if I have it I may as well publish it.


We only spent about a day and a half in Granada, but I had spent a couple of days here before in the middle of the summer when I studied abroad in Cadiz. I remember running along a river in the sweltering heat of the early morning and looking up at the mountain that contains the Al Hambra. Russell and I had made our Al Hambra reservations for the afternoon we arrived, and we decided to walk (or sometimes race) up the mountain to Al Hambra. We stopped for 2 euro tapas and ended up going up the back way through a beautiful residential neighborhood.
Fried Sardines... Yum

I thought that I had missed autumn while being in South Africa. Autumn is one of my four favorite seasons, as you saw from my post, and I was devastated to have missed it. When we got to the top of the hill, I realized that it was full fledged autumn in Granada. I didn't realize the trees in Spain were so similar to those at home. I started laughing and running around through the leaves, SO excited for the smell of fall and the sight of the wind sending leaves in various shades floating to the ground.

FALL!!!

The Al Hambra is one of the coolest parts of Spain's history. It was the last Islamic stronghold in Spain, and although it was used afterwards by Catholic monarchs, it still contains much of the Islamic design that its original residents cultivated.






If you ever go to the Alhambra, make sure to reserve your tickets online, as they only let in a certain amount of people every half an hour and it would be ridiculous to go all the way to Granada and not see what some people consider one of the 7 wonders of the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment